As a result of the expansion of activities and
increased oil production, there was a growing need for new pipelines. In 1914,
a new steel pipeline, which was 10 inches in diameter, was ordered. But the
outbreak of World War I delayed its construction up to 1915. Meantime, the
entrance of welding technology led to the elimination of previous manpower and
their replacement with new laborers to construct pipelines. The workers had no
longer to hold heavy spanners; rather, they had to regulate cables of welding
machines so that the pipelines would be fused together.
The old decrepit pipeline was replaced. The use
of new and stronger alloys in the construction of pipelines had also helped
pump oil at a higher flow, while the older pipeline could not stand such
Due to increased oil production, more pipelines
were constructed after 1914. The second pipeline was laid out on the same
route, and the capacity and the number of pumping stations increased in
proportion with these pipelines. Later on, three more pumping stations were
built in Molla Sani, located between Ahvaz and Masjid Soleiman, in Kut Abullah
near Ahvaz, and in Darquain between Ahvaz and Abadan. Three pipelines – two
with diameters measuring 10 inches and one with 12-inch diameter – were tasked
with carrying crude oil and petroleum products from oil fields in southern
The second largest pumping station after Tombi
was Kut Abullah, which was built in 1920. At that time, oil production was a
bit higher than one million gallons a day. At that time, Kut Abdullah was a
green and captivating area located between Ahvaz and Abadan (13 kilometers from
Ahvaz). Today Kut Abdullah has been annexed to Ahvaz. The main pumping station
handled oil produced in Masjid Soleiman, Naft Sefid, Haftgel and Lali areas.
The oil pipelines stretching from these areas were connected together in Kut
Abdullah. Five powerful pumps pumped oil gathered from pipelines to Abadan oil
In 1930, when the Abadan refinery had the power
to pump 5 million tonnes of oil, the third pipeline was built between Haftgel
and Kut Abdullah and was connected to the Masjid Soleiman-Abadan pipeline.
In 1939, the first pipeline carrying petroleum
products (mainly kerosene) was built for a length of 121 kilometers. It could
carry 100,000 tonnes a year of products. This pipeline carried oil products
from Abadan refinery to Ahvaz.
In 1940, another pipeline, which was 264
kilometers long, was built between Gachsaran and Abadan. A second pipeline for
oil products was built in 1944 between Abadan and Ahvaz. It was 121 kilometers
As oil production increased, two more pumping
stations – one in Molla Sani and between Ahvaz and Masjid Soleiman and one in
Darquain between Kut Abdullah and Abadan – were built.
These pipelines were active for years in the
transfer of crude oil and oil products. They were instrumental in the history
of oil industry. After years, they were no longer effective. The Kut Abdullah
oil pumping station was totally shut down. The Petroleum University of
Technology stands there today.
Molla Sani pumping station is today home to
water supply equipment at the Agriculture Department of Shahid Chamran
University of Avhaz.
Darquain pumping station is a mothballed
building which will soon become a petroleum museum.
Courtesy of Iran Petroleum